Who in dahail was in charge of this production because this is sad, sad, and more sad.
A huge video screen fell and struck two performers during a concert in Hong Kong by the city’s most popular boy band, Mirror, leaving a dancer severely injured and the audience in total shock.
In a video, you can see the video screen plunge from the ceiling midway through the Mirror boy band’s performance last Thursday. The screen literally crashed on a dancer before falling onto another performer. Other performers and staff members rushed to help the two injured, while others stood shocked and in disbelief.
The organizer of the event, immediately ended the concert and instructed the audience to leave. Concertgoers said they saw others in the audience passed out as well as in tears.
WATCH VIDEO BELOW (VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED):
The tragedy was particularly upsetting for followers of Mirror who found refuge in the band’s sprightly dance amid the gloom of the pandemic and the city’s authoritarian turn under Beijing’s tightening control.
Local media reported that the dancer who was directly hit by the screen remained in intensive care Friday evening. The dancer was conscious and able to communicate with the doctor, according to Lo Ting-fai, CEO of the concert organizer MakerVille. The dancer suffered spinal fractures and his limbs were paralyzed.
Another dancer had minor injuries, including muscle strains and scrapes.
Lo apologized and pledged to thoroughly investigate the incident, while the organizer later canceled the remaining gigs, which were originally set to run daily until August 6.
An initial probe by authorities found that one of two metal cords holding the screen snapped. The Hong Kong government, which manages the venue, is also responsible for issuing safety permits prior to the show.
Some have blamed the accidents on shoddy structures and a lack of time for sufficient preparation.
Ahfa Wong Wai-kwan, manager of the band, repeatedly rebuked the producer for technical mishaps during rehearsals. Many of the platforms did not move on cue and sometimes shifted while performers were dancing, causing them to stumble, according to the staff member. The producer assured them the set would work properly during the actual performance.